Friday, June 4, 2010

Again with the prayers, Tommy?!

Several months ago Tommy preached a sermon on Sunday morning at our church. I always get nervous for him when he preaches. I even sweat the whole time he is preaching but as usual The Lord spoke through him and brought a powerful message. The passage he focused on was the following:

Proverbs 30:8-9
8Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
9Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

He proceeded to share with the congregation that he had begun to pray this prayer for his family. I thought "Oh man! Without talking to me first?! Once again he had discussed things with The Lord that he hadn't "run by" me...haha!! As if he needed to ask me first.
Really I don't believe Tommy had to pray this prayer. It's as if The Lord had already chosen our family to live in "neither poverty nor riches". Sometimes it feels like poverty but it isn't. All I have to do to realize how blessed we are is go visit a neighbor, walk down the street by our church or meet someone new in Wal-mart. There are families all around us who are really struggling.
Sometimes our prayers aren't to inform The Lord of anything rather as we pray He changes you. As we pray he changes our hearts until we eventually find ourselves willing and experiencing the life He intended...which is the best place in the world to be.
This past Tuesday was pay day and Tommy and I found ourselves divvying out our paychecks to all the right places. Quickly we saw that there would be some areas we would be cutting it a little close. I didn't freak out but expressed my concern to Tommy and waited to see how The Lord was going to cover us. First, we received a large box from my friend full of juice boxes and wide variety of snacks....a HUGE help with two toddlers! Next, a lady we met last night gave us a $20 for Tommy to "take out your wife" just because she used to serve in youth ministry and knows the financial struggle that tends to go with youth ministry. Third, Tommy has a little video editing business which has recently been given some new jobs. He not only got a few jobs but unexpectedly got paid for those jobs today. Continuously The Lord brings our family above and beyond what we need to survive. He always has and I believe he always will GIVE US OUR DAILY BREAD.
Thank you Lord for giving us neither poverty nor riches.

2 comments: